“Good numeracy is the best protection against unemployment, low wages and poor health”.
Andreas Schleicher – Education Director OECD
The aims of the project are:
- to raise the profile of Numeracy / Mathematics
- to create a positive and can-do mentality towards Maths.
- to change the culture of thinking around Mathematics.
- to make real life connections. #MathsIsEverywhere
- to show the link Mathematics plays across all subjects
- to share and celebrate the enjoyment of Numeracy / Mathematics.
“We firmly believe that if we tackle the ‘can’t do maths’ culture in our schools and communities with a challenging, consistent and persistent approach, we will improve the educational and employment outcomes for the young people of Liverpool “.
Judith Lang and Dave Carden - Liverpool Counts
What you can do to help:
- Be aware of what you say about Maths, especially around children.
- Challenge ANYONE that you hear making negative comments about Maths,
- Any time you hear celebrities in the media saying that they ‘can’t do Maths’, or making negative comments about maths, discuss it with your children.
- Share your own enjoyment of Maths and highlight when you have used it in everyday life.
- Dispel the myth that there is a Maths gene and that only a few people can be good at Maths